Heh, well, this is funny. I just went through and compared the original HEAD code provided by the AdWords interface to the code the Google engineer sent us...it is a MATCH except that the AdWords interface doesn't provide it with the opening and closing
<script> tags. I didn't compare this code earlier simply because the "new" code was sent to me late in the evening, at home....just plugged it in and let it go. With that, I have a feeling this is more about an adjustment made by Google on their end (either that or they thought we copied it wrong and wanted to check).
Anyway, the call conversion code that goes in the
<head> area is the code provided through the AdWords Call Conversions page...just add
<script> to the front and
</script> to the end of it when placing it. Probably not wise to post it here as I think it might contain a client identifier. In our case, I just plopped the code into Genesis' Theme Settings, the Header/Footer Scripts area. So long as the code ends up before the closing
</head> in your particular theme, you should be fine.
The body tag on the child theme's header.php file looks like this:
<body <?php body_class(); ?> onload = "_googWcmGet('phone','AdWordsphone-Number-Here')">
I added it as mentioned in my previous post...copying over the header.php file to our child theme from the master Genesis installation and manually editing the
The client in question has two phone numbers in the body of their home page, the "phone" class, which is referenced by the ONLOAD code, surrounds both of them so that they are changed to the AdWords-provided phone number when a visitor comes into the site from an AdWords clickthru:
<h5 class="phone">Call FIRST NUMBER / SECOND NUMBER</h5>
That's what worked for us. Of course, the inbound must have clicked on an AdWords Ad to see it. After we installed it, the engineer we'd been working with checked it and sent us a verification email that it was working properly.