Host on own server or use hosting provider (business)
My company has its own server (running OSX Server 10.6.8) that currently has our WordPress site on it along with all our other files. It runs off our business internet connection. Our domain is registered, and renewed annually.
We would like to find out the advantages/disadvantages of using a web hosting provider. I haven’t had much luck because search engines are convinced I’m looking for a WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org discussion, which this is not.
1. No content or plug-in restrictions, etc.
2. We already have the internet connection and the machine to do so. The website does not run slow, nor did past iterations done in Flash.
3. Domain registration separate.
1. Lots of up-front time spent learning how to install and maintain everything (I am the only one who has learned to use the server software, do everything in terminal [MySQL databases, permissions, etc.]. He is ideally looking for a solution which anyone can easily maintain/ add content to the website.
2. If any security issues occur, it compromises all the content on our server, not only our website.
3. We do the backups / maintenance ourselves
I’d appreciate any feedback on this. Thank you! 🙂
- The topic ‘Host on own server or use hosting provider (business)’ is closed to new replies.