[resolved] Home page not loading, log shows 301 (4 posts)

  1. abaerst
    Posted 3 years ago #

    I did some site maintenance and I'm not sure what I did to break my site, but now I cannot load the homepage, but I can load other pages (within wp-admin, and root) by name (php or html). The log file shows 301 records in the access log. I can also load paged using there ?=xxx identifier.

    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.provider.net - - [13/Nov/2012:17:15:54 -0500] "GET /newblog/ HTTP/1.0" 301 172 "" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; Trident/6.0)"

    This record shows "newblog" which I set up in a subdirectory to diagnose the condition. Newblog, in addition to old blog are both subject to the condition.

    There is no .htaccess file that I can see. I have deactivated and/or removed all of the plug-ins and reverted back to the default theme.

    My client hosts with XO. What if mod_rewrite is not present? Would that explain this behavior.

    The old site URL is http://tonystreehouse.org.
    The new test site is http://tonystreehouse.org/newblog.

    I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

  2. Krishna
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 3 years ago #

    but now I cannot load the homepage

    Homepage URL? If it is your old URL it works. If it is your new URL, it shows 404 error.

    Review http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL

  3. abaerst
    Posted 3 years ago #

    Thanks for your reply Krishna. Things have changed rapidly since I wrote this yesterday and I hadn't had a chance to update this ticket yet. I've been battling with this issue for some days. Although I am interested in what I did to cause such an error, the more important issue was to get the client back up and running. The non-profit that I support has modest requirements and I have not been thrilled with their hosting company overall including their POP only email access.

    My long term intent was to get them away from their hosting company, but that required DNS modification and larger scale email migration issues.

    Over the last week I've been toying with both a go forward solution (DNS, Hosting, Email changes) and a fix the old solution (get WordPress working again). The problem with the "fix the old" solution is that the hosting company has php version 4.4 installed so the max version of WordPress that I can install is v3.1.4. I feel like I am already behind and I'm at the will of an inferior ISP.

    My solution last night was to migrate their self-managed WordPress site to a hosted WordPress.com site and split their mail off to a custom domain served by Outlook.com. So the working site that you see now is coming from WordPress.com with domain mapping turned on.

    Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question. Have a good day.

  4. Krishna
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 3 years ago #

    Your explanation helps. When I tried to analyze the problem I came across most of the things above. If you replied otherwise, I would have asked you to go to WordPress.com support.

    With the problems you explained and what I found, nothing much can be done at this stage.

    If you sorted out the issue, please mark the topic as resolved.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic