[Resolved] high traffic crashing usmagazine.com
Short version: Looking for performance tips for a high-traffic, high-profile site.
More details: I’m a web developer working on a web site for usmagazine.com (site of Us Weekly) that’s running on WordPress, based on my recommendation. The staff loved the interface, but high traffic is overwhelming the site. Database errors. There’s other solutions — more powerful server — but WordPress seems to take the heat when I call tech support. I’m trying to save it.
* I’ve installed Wp-cache, but it’s not enough. (Is Staticize a better bet?)
* Looking into disabling comment counting.
* There’s no category list or archive list in the sidebar.
* This is a dedicated virtual server.
* Traffic ranges from 36,000 to 72,000 sessions a day.
* MySQL 4.x.
* Other plugins: Spam Karma, Paged Comment Editing, fl_movie.
I understand that the problem is high-traffic is beyond optimizing queries and installing plugins. But I’m asking for things like that because those are things I can do in the next few days.
Lots of good ideas in these forums. An amazing community! WordPress rules. Thanks for any advice.
WordPress database error: [Can’t create/write to file ‘/tmp/#sql_16d8_0.MYD’ (Errcode: 17)]
SELECT DISTINCT * FROM wp_posts WHERE 1=1 AND post_date_gmt <= ‘2006-04-26 04:29:59’ AND (post_status = “publish” OR post_author = 2 AND post_status != ‘draft’ AND post_status != ‘static’) AND post_status != “attachment” GROUP BY wp_posts.ID ORDER BY post_date DESC LIMIT 0, 10
Odd side effect: I was mailed a backup of the database about 45 times before I disabled the backup and wp-cron plugin.
- The topic ‘[Resolved] high traffic crashing usmagazine.com’ is closed to new replies.