Help! Phishing attack :(
OK, so I’m a total WP newb. Have been loving it so far – smooth sailing – but yesterday the nightmare came real…
– Email from google detailing suspected phishing page (looked like a paypal url but ended in my domain)
– Reported it to host (Hostpapa) late last night. Customer support tell me they should clean it up in “a couple of hours”
– Woke up to find account suspended, and email to that effect. No further instructions
– Spoke to customer support again, who said I needed to email tech division. Alarm bells start ringing when I’m told they will most likely have to wipe the site and start over. Not to worry, I’ve been getting reassuring mails from BackWPUp every day, right?
– Go to my BackWPUp email to check and get scared: Seems DropBox aspect is failing. Last log looks like this:
[ mod: log moved into pastebin below ]
– My bad, I hadn’t been paying attention to the logs. Blame being too busy at work, naivety, being an idiot, whatever… So my first question:
1. Is BackWPUp making a back-up elsewhere? There’s nothing in my drop box. Gulp.
– Hostpapa’s tech division fail to mail me back, and site down for a day now. Not great since I’ve been marketing myself on my daily posts.
– Call customer support. Pretty much told to wait till tech guys touch base, but operator says he will ask them if it’s possible to unsuspend my account so that I can make a back-up via cPanel. The guy wasn’t sure it would be, and thinks cases like this usually require a deletion, so I’m getting nervous! Last cPanel backup was 2 months ago 🙁 (yep, my bad again – I’m self flagelating as we speak)
Onto my remaining questions:
2. How do I go about restoring from back-up, assuming I have one?
3. Once restored, can I expect the site to be exactly as it was? Plugins, prefs, FB comments etc.?
4. Will this incident affect my SEO?
5. How do I stop these [ profanity deleted ] ever doing this to my site again?
Thanks in advance for any help. This has been a super stressful day 🙁
- The topic ‘Help! Phishing attack :(’ is closed to new replies.