I’ve recently spent a couple of hours searching the forums and looking through the plugins directory. I really can’t find the type of plugin I need, as it’s very specific. Please forgive me in advance if the solution to my need is blatant and obvious, and that such-and-such plugin would do the trick. Bear with me folks, and let me explain what my need is:
* I have a WordPress install for a podcast network’s website. There are over 20 different podcast shows, and a couple of dozen different hosts/co-hosts across the whole network.
* I’m wanting to create a page/block/widget for each individual host containing their photo and bio.
* Every podcast program is a whole category within WP, and each episode of every single podcast has its own individual blog post.
* I’m wanting to be able to put the appropriate block/widget for each host bio on the podcast program (aka category), so that whenever someone views the page for Podcast A, the bio widgets for Host X and Host Y show up on the sidebar; when they view Podcast B, the bio widgets for Host Z and Host W show up on the sidebar; Podcast C, the bio widgets for Host Q and Host R, and on and on…
* And just like the last point, I would like the appropriate bios to appear on each individual blog post/episode page based on which category that podcast episode resides in.
* I would like to be able to have a “master” page (obviously I would simply create a Page in WP called “Host Bios”) that would collect all of the hosts’ bios that are contained in the aforementioned blocks/widgets and display them.
* I am the only post Author/Admin on the entire site/blog, so anything involving a special author-based plugin won’t work. The podcast hosts have nothing to do with posting on the blog. But I would imagine that based on my needs, the plugin I need might behave the same way as a type of author plugin.
So is there anything out there that is close? Perhaps a special plugin that works with tags or categories? Something that would allow me to store custom widget blocks where I could use them on certain pages?
Thanks in advance!
There are a few different ways that could help you. Jetpack can give you the option to only show certain widgets on certain pages. Some form of accordion plugin can help wit the bios. You could set up each host as an author and you use their login when you upload their podcasts have the podcasts attached to the posts. If you do make yourself the admin and the hosts with minimal access rights. If you go that route I would suggest using something like LastPass or KeePass for logging in to keep the accounts straight. Making each a Gravatar account can also give blurbs about the hosts. I do not know off hand of a single plugin that could do all of what you are needing.
Thanks for the reply, m_butcher.
Since WordPress allows you to change authors on the post pages, I think creating 20+ accounts for the program hosts all with their own email addresses and passwords that I would have to worry about logging out and logging into each time, using LastPass, etc. would all be unnecessary.
But most podcast programs have two and sometimes three hosts, so having the multiple hosts appear as a single “author” of the blog post seems unworkable.
I didn’t even think about the Jetpack route. Just gave it a look, and it should work. So I am closer to my goal. Thanks, again.
- The topic ‘Help! Are there any plugin/widgets for custom bios that aren't authors?’ is closed to new replies.