I’m new to wordpress – I have no past experience in coding, I am only familiar with HTML.
I found wordpress after looking up some free templates and I found a really cool one called “infinity” specially designed for wordpress.
So through some tutorials I was first led to wordpress.com, where I have opened an account, and then here to wordpress.org, where I downloaded the folders in the “5 minute tutorial.”
Now, you may find this funny because you are all familiar with wordpress but I got myself into a blunder resulting from major inexperience. My only intention was to upload this “infinity” template so that it will show up in the [design: themes] part of my wordpress.com account so that I will ultimately be able to open my own blog/personal site.
So.. this is what I understood from the tutorials (stop me if I’m wrong about any of these, because it’s somewhere along the way that I got stuck. lol.)
1. After downloading the 5 minute installation/wordpress folders, you must open an ftp server. I opened one on a free ftp server at drivehq.com (which, by the way, terminated my membership a few hours ago because they claim that I uploaded wordpress files onto the server and they don’t deal with wordpress – is there some other ftp server that deals with wordpress that you would recommend, preferably free?)
2. I uploaded all of the wordpress folder which I downloaded off here onto the server under a folder I called “wordpress” – I did this all through filezilla.
3. Under the same folder, I uploaded the “infinity” theme folder which I downloaded to the “themes” folder of the wordpress folder.
4. — this is where a tutorial led me to think that by doing so, the infinity theme will now be added to the themes of my wordpress.com account.
THIS IS WHERE I NOTICED HOW STUPID I AM, AND ASKED MYSELF THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
–> don’t you need something to connect the files you just uploaded to the drivehq ftp server to wordpress.com?
–> wordpress.com and wordpress.org seem to be two very different things — and when I look up instructions on themes in wordpress.org, it leads me to a supposed “admin panel” that I can never get to. Confusion!!!
–> some tutorial mentioned opening a mySQL databse — I downloaded mySQL, but I don’t know the language since I’m a total newbie and I have NO IDEA HOW TO OPEN A DATABASE (some tutorial explained that I will need to update the “wp-config.php” document according to the database information — wow, how the heck do I do that)
Anyways guys, I got myself into a problem. LOL. If any of you could please explain how I can simply upload the infinity theme for wordpress onto the themes on wordpress.com via. a tutorial designed for a TOTAL NOOB, that would be great.
Sorry for letting you in on my headache.
- The topic ‘Help a Newbie!!! Ahhh!’ is closed to new replies.