Hey folks – I’m no code whiz, but I knew something was up when I began to receive tons of comment notifications at 5:35 this afternoon through my http://www.quiltshome.com site. The spam didn’t carry an IP address or anything – like it was computer generated. When I went to the site I discovered that someone had hacked the backend, with an error on a file entitled “wp_comments.MYI” I couldn’t make any changes from the backend, such as deactivating my plugins, writing an entry, etc.
I don’t know what I did to fix the site – honestly. I did replace all the 2.2 files with a backup of the 2.2 files on my hard drive. Plus, I needed to refresh my permalinks, as they were fubared – the permalinks led to an older version of my site.
The good news – the files/entries were untouched, and I was able to restore the site after a few breaks to think about what I needed to do. Oh – when I backed up the site through my phpadmin, the backup was small and contained nothing but references to that “wp_comments” file.
I wish I could tell you all what happened and how the site was corrupted, but since it was a ‘hack’ on my end (along with a panic attack), I can’t tell you what was corrupted or how I fixed it. BUT, with that said, I thought it might be a good idea to let someone know that the new 2.2 was hacked, albeit by an amatuer.
- The topic ‘Hack on 2.2’ is closed to new replies.