[Resolved] Given site files and database by client… no clue how to transfer to new server
Let me preface this by saying I’ve explored the WordPress documentation, several forum threads, and multiple youtube tutorials on how to transfer a site over form one server to another with databases in tow and what not. None of them have worked because either a) I’m doing it wrong or b) the stuff I have isn’t enough. So here’s the run down:
1) Client wants to host their website on a colleague’s server. They give him all the site files (wp-admin/content/include folders, etc.) and an SQL database file.
2) They take the site down, and my colleague comes to me and asks me to install it on his server (since he doesn’t handle web design stuff). I personally have only ever dealt with hosts who offer it on their cpanel. I’ve never personally done it through a server. whenever I transfer WordPress to other servers I just take the long route and install a fresh WordPress site on their server and take the exporty form the WordPress backend and import it and adjust it manually in the backend. I’ve never really messed with databases because it seems like every time I do something goes wrong. My colleague has a Windows Server.
3) After having trouble getting it going on his Windows Server he eventually downloads and installs Plesk on his server (since CPanel is not available for Windows server). This is when I attempt to install WordPress and transfer files and SQL databases the way the tutorials tell me to. Except it doesn’t work.
4) Because of this I attempt to do it on my own hosting server (that I have with a third party host that uses CPanel) just to test it out to make sure it’s not just a Plesk thing). When I go into PHPMyAdmin and import the SQL database, this is what I get in error:
There is a chance that you may have found a bug in the SQL parser. Please examine your query closely, and check that the quotes are correct and not mis-matched. Other possible failure causes may be that you are uploading a file with binary outside of a quoted text area. You can also try your query on the MySQL command line interface. The MySQL server error output below, if there is any, may also help you in diagnosing the problem. If you still have problems or if the parser fails where the command line interface succeeds, please reduce your SQL query input to the single query that causes problems, and submit a bug report with the data chunk in the CUT section below: ----BEGIN CUT---- eNo1jUEKwjAURIXu/inmAOnHJFYlu1BCu0ibmlQ9gUhB4krQ25sKznJ4b8bFGKJBK9EqeDcaSChI SWkudUU0fNLJGzTcsD7UumFZP553OqeIkARs58ZZ4OIKfV0y2j6GwRV8y3pP02ANdFGPrGjqp5UT Ia1zO1YafsmvN3k7dga3TL8nqjb/fAEvDiKm ----END CUT---- ----BEGIN RAW---- ERROR: C1 C2 LEN: 1 2 11 STR: MySQL: 5.5.37-35.1-log USR OS, AGENT, VER: Win CHROME 5.0.36 PMA: 126.96.36.199 PHP VER,OS: 5.4.23 Linux LANG: en SQL: ----END RAW---- SQL query: MySQL said: Documentation #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1
However, all the sections and info shows up back in the main folder tree. I then adjust wp-config to match the new database settings, and I get the database error on WordPress. It was the same way on Plesk.
I’m at a loss because this is the only way I can transfer the site and I’ve never done it before and all the tutorials I’m finding aren’t helping much. I don’t even know what the site actually looks like, so I’m expected to get it up and running just the way it was. It’s daunting for me right now.
I genuinely don’t know where to start in this situation. I’ve got a .SQL database file and everything form their original FTP server. It seems like this should be easy but I haven’t a clue what to do or where I’m going wrong. Please help someone?
- The topic ‘[Resolved] Given site files and database by client… no clue how to transfer to new server’ is closed to new replies.