Support » Plugin: Google Doc Embedder » GDE Profiles Issue v2.5b2

  • Hello, I have searched through the posted threads and did not find anything that addressed this issue I am having. When I try to insert a pdf into a post it generates the shortcode, but upon viewing it gives me the error message ‘GDE Error: Unable to load requested profile.’
    So I went to the GDE settings and under profiles there is nothing listed, meaning not even a default profile and I am unable to create a new one as it gives me this error message ‘Unable to create profile.’ I really enjoy this plugin and it helps a lot, so any info you have that could help me fix this would be appreciated. Thank you for your work and time.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I decided to just rollback to the old version for now as my site is live and I need the pdf’s to be accessible. The last stable version does not have this problem and will work for now, but please still send any info you have about a fix for the beta. Thank you.

    Plugin Author k3davis


    I haven’t run into that problem elsewhere, and nobody else has reported it, so thanks for making me aware of the issue.

    If you could possibly use a mysql tool like phpmyadmin or the Adminer plugin for wordpress and see if you have these tables in your wordpress database:


    where wp_ is your wordpress db prefix, which may be different. I wonder if it failed to create the tables for some reason and therefore couldn’t (and still can’t) write to them.

    Not to put you out too much but if you want to assist me in troubleshooting the issue further, and can set up a different test blog so that your production web site isn’t affected, I can describe how you can obtain a detailed diagnostic log of the install process that would pinpoint the exact point of failure. But, I understand not everyone has the time or expertise to donate to that level of beta testing, so if you’re not up for it don’t feel too bad. 😉



    Sure I can check all of that out this weekend. I still have my site set up through XAMPP so it wont be hard. And I would be happy to help you out with this; I think anyone who can produce a great tool like this and doesn’t charge should get all the help they can from it’s users. I will let you know sometime this weekend what I find out. Thanks again.

    Plugin Author k3davis


    Thanks silverdragon,

    To enable tho extended logging, open up functions.php in a text editor and find this line near the top:

    @define( 'GDE_DX_LOGGING', 0 );

    Change the 0 to a 1 and save the file to your web site before activating GDE 2.5 beta for the first time. Once you do activate, it should create a new folder in the google-document-embedder folder called “log” with a single file in it called “log.txt”. That will contain a record of each step of the activation process and hopefully note where your activation has gone wrong, resulting in you having no profiles.

    Let me know what you find out – either here or via email (my address is in the GPL statement near the top of gviewer.php).

    Thanks for your extra efforts, if you have a chance.

    I just upgraded to 2.5 and saw “GDE Error: Unable to load profile settings” on the front-end. I went to the plugin’s settings and saw an error about the profile (sorry, I didn’t record it). I simply deactivated and reactivated the plugin, and that fixed it.

    Plugin Author k3davis



    Thanks for your note. A few others have had that issue as well, though I’ve not been able to reproduce it myself. For some reason the upgrade routine wasn’t able to create the necessary database tables.

    I’m glad the issue resolved itself, but if you care to reproduce it and provide a log of the problem, I may be able to improve it in a future version. Thanks.


    Same problem with loading my profile.

    I closed the plugin and reactivated and all was good.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘GDE Profiles Issue v2.5b2’ is closed to new replies.