I have created a WordPress Twenty Eleven child theme with an extended Page of Posts, it can be used for anything, a learning aid, code grab, etc:
Unlike the previous post I made on page of posts solution, if uses selectable post meta boxes for storing values and not custom field boxes, and has a nice admin box.
- Page Title: if left blank no page title will be displayed, fill it in if required
- Posts Title: If we have main content we might want a title for our posts block, this could be a tutorial series, random posts, latest, most popular etc:
- Category: Select a Category for our page of posts, this works only for a single category, you are free to edit the files to use an array, our posts and themes are pointers rather than solutions
- Sort by: lots of options here, date, last modified, comment count, random, title, etc:
- Order: Ascending or Descending
- Post Style: default, Only Titles, Excerpts or Thumbnail and excerpt, this will use the different content template parts in the folder
- Posts per Page: Defaults to the settings value, but can be different for each page
- Posts in the Last days: if we are showing latest posts, most popular or have a lot of old posts we can restrict what we see by a number of days, like most popular last 30 days.
There is a download, no registration required it can be copied and used by anyone.