Everything is working almost perfectly now. On WP-Members Options, I have specified the User Profile Page (so that the 'Forgot Password' link appears under the Login form), and the Register Page (so that the the 'Register' link appears under the login form).
This caused some redundancy: When the user attempts to access protected content, and the Login Form and Registration Form are displayed, it is redundant to display the 'Register' link under the Login form, and then the entire Register Form underneath that!
So, in an attempt to make WP-Members not display the Register Form underneath the Login Form before the user accesses protected content, I went back to WP-Members Options, and checked the box where it says 'Turn off registration'.
This works almost pefectly.
- The Login Form is nice and compact.
- It also includes 'Forgot Password' and 'Register' links.
- It displays when the user attempts to access protected content.
- It also redirects correctly after login, to the protected content.
There is just one tiny problem:
- It does not redirect correctly after registration.
So we have the following workflow (with the Registration Page specified, and with 'Turn off registration' selected'):
(1) A new (non-registered) user attempts to access protected content;
(2) The new user clicks the 'Register' link (under the Login form);
(3) The user registers on the Register page...
(4) They get redirected to the home page - not to the protected content they were trying to access!
I realize this may seem like a minor issue. And I also think WP-Members is a great membership plugin (this week I evaluated 7 other WordPress membership plugins - and none of them were satisfactory). So WP-Members is the WordPress plugin which comes closest to meeting my needs.
However, if the workflow for new users is even slightly counter-intuitive, the site is going to get much fewer registrations.
The way it stands now, the only way to redirect new users to the protected content would be to uncheck 'Turn off registrations' - which leads to the problem of redundantly displaying the Registration Form under the Login Form (which already has a 'Register' link, if the Register Page was specified in WP-Members Options).
I hope there is a way to get WP-Members to do the ideal workflow - redirecting new (non-registered) users to the protected content they were trying to access, after making them go through registration (by clicking on a 'Register' link under the Login Form - in order to avoid displaying the Login Form and the Registration Form on top of each other).
Thanks for a great plugin, and for any help with this remaining workflow issue!