Although I sort of agree with your overall sentiment ....
I think as bbPress matures, and the WP resources increase, search results will improve.
There are various types of user:
- those that come here, would rather not post and search diligently.
- those that do search, but are not sure of the right terms, so their search result is empty / not useful
- those that arrive in a BLIND PANIC and SCREAM HELP
- those that are convinced that they are experiencing an error that is exclusive to them and has never been seen before so why bother searching ?
- those that cannot be bothered to search, do not want to be referred to another thread and want all the answers absolutely perfectly tailored to their wants.
So search results are of limited use. That said, the amount of repeat questions has fallen dramatically since Matt made the addition above the New thread box.
There is also the issue that the forum as it is carries information going back to 2003 - and even 1.2.2 info is not necessarily applicable to 1.5. As such, some information - though it looks like a repeat, may well not be.
Repeat questions also point to a need for docs, and very clear docs at that. Such docs need to take into account the broadness of topics requested, the different ways that questions are asked.
I'd add that repeat questions also serve another useful purpose: they are great for those people who are coming back to the forums and looking to help out. It is very daunting to type an answer out for someone, esp knowing that they will go and change their blog after reading your advice. So by seeing a repeat question and safely knowing the answer, you can type away happily. The poster gets their answer, and you get that great feeling of having helped someone out - a feeling you can repeat many times daily by just coming back here ! :)
And hey, if everyone searched and found, maybe I'd have to talk to my wife too dammit !