Support » Plugin: OMGF | GDPR/DSVGO Compliant, Faster Google Fonts. Easy. » Font broken with new version

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Plugin Author Daan van den Bergh

    (@daanvandenbergh)

    Hi!

    I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Could you maybe share a screenshot?

    Also, there’s no difference in the way the fonts are delivered, compared to the free version. So, are you sure there isn’t something else that you changed around the time of the update?

    Thread Starter skepticp

    (@skepticp)

    Sure, here you go. It’s a problem with the “A” – you see how there’s a white overlap on the horizontal bar?
    https://ibb.co/XkvvPZQ

    Looks good on my computer and the font is definitely applied. You may be having an issue on your specific display.

    Plugin Author Daan van den Bergh

    (@daanvandenbergh)

    @skepticp,

    You’re not the first to run into this. It seems a few characters of a few fonts are broken in the Google Fonts Helper API.

    Since it’s only for a few fonts, I’m going to implement another downloads resource in the next update, where the correct fonts can be downloaded for these fonts.

    Stay tuned!

    Thread Starter skepticp

    (@skepticp)

    That’s great news, Daan. Thank you!

    • This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by skepticp.

    @daanvandenbergh it may be worth finding the commonality of these reports before doing too much work.

    I’ve just checked the spec and it definitely provides file URLs in the response. I’m guessing the API sends the same file as other methods, and it’s unlikely that using this method somehow breaks certain characters in that file.

    When I checked the OPs site, it looks OK on my Windows 10/Chrome browser. Maybe specific fonts appear incorrectly at specific settings weight/size combinations in specific environments, and that will be a Google problem

    Plugin Author Daan van den Bergh

    (@daanvandenbergh)

    Hi @skepticp,

    I think Gal is right. I’ve been doing some more testing and it really depends on your platform whether the font ‘breaks’ or not.

    I was able to reproduce the issue on Firefox for MacOS, but not on Chrome for MacOS and Android. Then I was unable to reproduce the issue on Firefox for Windows and Android, here’s one example from my phone: https://imgur.com/a/sfLbzjM

    So, I think it isn’t a universal issue and it will iron out eventually with browser and OS updates.

    Thread Starter skepticp

    (@skepticp)

    For me this is broken on Chrome MacOS and also Safari MacOS. Fine on mobile. Thanks for your efforts to resolve!

    Plugin Author Daan van den Bergh

    (@daanvandenbergh)

    If you don’t mind me asking, what type of Macbook do you have? Cause if there’s a difference between ours (mine’s a MacBook Pro 2019) it might even be related to graphic card drivers.

    Thread Starter skepticp

    (@skepticp)

    Sure
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
    Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

    I’m having the same problem with Josefin Sans. The capital “A” looks odd but all other letters seem OK. Lato seems to load just fine too. I haven’t tried the plugin on any other sites so far.

    Can you guys confirm that when you include exactly the same font variant directly from Google using the new style of embed code, you see different results. If the results are the same, it’s not a plugin problem and needs to be reported to Google.

    Hello,

    I am contacting you because I also have the problem with the Josefin font without the Ocean WP Architect theme.
    Indeed the capital letter “A” overlaps when publishing a text.

    Could you find a solution to this problem?

    Thank you.

    Greetings

    I don’t actually use WordPress but this forum post came up when I was researching this issue and noticed that you were trying to work out if it was a problem with the plugin. I don’t know if it is helpful information but I can report exactly the same problem (capital ‘A’ character show white lines on either side of the horizontal line).

    My machine is a MacBook Pro 16″ (2019), i7 @ 2.6GHz, Radeon Pro 5300M graphics. I’m using Chrome Version 86.0.4240.111

    We’re implementing the font with Google’s Font API. I will follow this thread for any updates and provide one if I can as we have already contacted Google about this. Hope this helped.

    Plugin Author Daan van den Bergh

    (@daanvandenbergh)

    Hi everyone,

    It’s been a while since this topic was last updated, but I just wanted to tell you that I’ve verified that it’s Mac-issue.

    I recently changed fonts on one of my websites to ‘Jost’, and the letter A was broken. Then, by accident, I opened my site on a Windows machine (Dell) and the letter A is displayed correctly.

    So, it’s not an OMGF issue, but as @jansg08 already stated, the issue occurs as well with fonts loaded directly from Google’s API.

    Hope this clarify things!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Font broken with new version’ is closed to new replies.