[Resolved] Followed Instructions, Broke Blog – Help!
I’m trying to move my blog from one host to another, so I’ve been following the instructions for Moving WordPress (See instructions that I followed below). The problem is that after step 2, “2. Go back to your OLD blog and go to options and change the url (both of them) to that of your new site.”, I can no longer access the admin features of my blog, because its thinks the address is on the new host, but when I try to change it and update it, it cant find the pages anymore because it cant find the php pages to do so! Real catch-22 eh? Also, the blog still seems to be up, but its trying to access the css from the new site location which obviously doesnt work and has multiple other problems related to confusion over location. This also means I cant access the page necessary to backup my DB since thats a plugin. Is there any way I can recover my old settings?? I need the old blog to run until the new one is completely up and running, and if I’d known this procedure would result in this I certainly would have tried an alternate route.
thanks for any help,
INSTRUCTIONS FROM WORDPRESS
If You Want Your Old Blog To Still Work
Caution: Make sure you have a backup of your old blog’s WordPress database before proceeding!
Part A – Activating Your New Blog
1. Download your entire WordPress installation to your hard drive. Name the folder appropriately to indicate that this is your OLD blog’s installation.
2. Go back to your OLD blog and go to options and change the url (both of them) to that of your new site.
3. Again, download your entire WordPress installation to your hard drive. Name the folder appropriately to indicate that this is your NEW blog’s installation.
4. Download your database once again (but keep the old one). Upload this database to your new server. It will be easiest if you use the same database name and you create a user with the same login credentials on your new server as on your old server.
5. If you used a different database name and/or user (see previous step), edit wp-config.php in your NEW blog’s installation folder appropriately.
6. Upload the NEW blog’s installation folder to your new site. Presto, your NEW blog should be working!
- The topic ‘[Resolved] Followed Instructions, Broke Blog – Help!’ is closed to new replies.