filters for bad words/html (and other stuff)
Somethings I was thinking of as I consider the implications of starting an archive to which many authors can post to (many of whom the webmaster will never meet in real life or even online):
- I don’t need need to have bad words filtered but it’s a feature I see on bulletin boards, that I think would be nice to have. Filter and replace is nifty too. :-p A couple of days ago, at a (vbulletin) message board I mod at, a bunch of us mods were joking around. “Let’s change all instances of the main character’s misspelled name and replace it with ‘I can’t spell!'” (We mods never would do that, but it was fun coming up with a list.) Actually, what we do is filter bad words to asterisks or leave the field blank to delete the word.
- I like that the admin can restrict uploads to certin types of files, but (again from LJ) how about disallowing Flash? (
src="something.swf"). Although that’s prolly similar to words filtering and/or tags filtering.
- Publicly accessible profile pages. Right now,
index.php?author=1results in a list of the author’s stories. It’s possible to add the fields to each entry — othernames, IM, email, website, misc details — but for streamlining the index.php page I rather not. I think a profile page should have the author and author’s info at the top of the page, and then (optionally) a list of their stories. Right now, these author info tags can only be displayed within an entry and I’d like to be able to use them outside an entry. It’s a feature I see in message boards and I think it’d be a way for WordPress to have more community building features.
- An Automated Archive style advanced search interface would be nice for users who don’t know how to use query strings such as
No rush though. I’ve been working off the 2/14/04 build and I have everything I need to start a multi-author archive. All these above features are just wants.
- The topic ‘filters for bad words/html (and other stuff)’ is closed to new replies.