Yep - I'm looking for something similar:
- A widget (not a plug in) - so it can be placed in sidebar via widget interface (under Presentation);
- images to be pulled from image-folder - I now have thumbs (.png) in my portfolio-posts - thumbs are screenshot of the websites we made - click on the thumb and a larger version (.jpg) opens
- the rotator just displays the thumbs (.png) - by clicking on the image, the post opens
So, what is needed in the settings:
- path to the image folder
- extension of the images (.png in my case) - or perhaps some wildcard (all my thumbs are preceded by 'th-')
- a list will be populated with all found images in that folder
- next to each image you enter the postname\path\id - I only need posts of my 'portfolio'-category, so maybe you can display just those posts, so that you can link them to a thumb? (actually, as each post contains the thumb itself, a smart programmer should be able to derive it - but, I will be more than happy to do it myself)
- maybe some size and speed settings - random or not etc.
I tried Piclens, but it comes with some drawbacks:
- images are resized (as they are derived from posts, degrading the pic-qualtiy) - and not using the high quality thumbs that I created;
- ugly border;
- not all images are displayed (probably because it looks at the current page with posts - not at all posts in a category);
Any suggestions? Or is there someone out there, smarter than me, that can make this? I just want that thing - you get the credits, you can do with it whatever you want.