Did your site become inaccessible after updating to the most recent version of Jetpack, 4.8?
We’re very sorry!
We’ve made some changes to the Sitemaps feature in Jetpack 4.8, and inadvertently used code that isn’t compatible with old versions of PHP (PHP 5.3 or less). If your site uses PHP 5.2 or PHP 5.3 and if you previously used Jetpack’s Sitemaps feature, your site will break.
We’ll release a new update very soon to solve that problem. Until then, we would recommend one of the following options:
- Contact your hosting provider and ask them if it is possible for you to use a more recent version of PHP. PHP 7 is the recommended version of PHP for WordPress, so if they can update you to PHP 7 that would be great.
- Remove the Jetpack plugin from your site until we release an update. You can install the old version of the plugin instead, available here.
- Force Deactivate the Sitemaps module by installing this must-use plugin on your site. You can do so by following the instructions in the file.
Again, we’re really sorry for all the trouble! We’ll release an update very soon to fix this issue.
- This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Jeremy Herve. Reason: Add link to related GitHub issue
To close the loop on this; we just released 4.8.1 to solve the issue mentioned above. You can read more about this release here:
Please update to 4.8.1 as soon as possible to see if that fixes that issue for you. Also, if you’re using WP Rocket, please update that to the latest version as well.
If you continue to experience issues, we would recommend that you try to delete the Jetpack plugin, and reinstall it from scratch. If that doesn’t help either, you can start a new thread here with as much information as possible about the errors you see on your site.
Thank you, and again, sorry for the trouble! While we do our best to test things prior to release, sometimes things fall through the cracks. We’ve added additional measures to make sure this type of error doesn’t happen again.
- The topic ‘Fatal Error after updating to the most recent version of Jetpack? Read this.’ is closed to new replies.