Support » Plugin: BackUpWordPress » Failed – when I needed it most

  • Sadly, this pluglin has let me down. I was advised to take a certain action by one of the moderators of this forum due to something not working as it should after updating to the latest WP version.

    I did a backup first thinking this could be restored if I needed it. Well, I did need it as after carrying out what i was advised, my site was all messed up (2,500 pages worth).

    So I restored the backup only to find it had deleted many of my foreign images.

    Beaware – if you use foreign names on your website the basic plugin will fail on a restore. Also it failed to restore the widget settings correctly.

    I think I am going back to good old HTML static site building. Never had these sort of problems on none CMS sites.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Plugin Author katmoody

    (@katmoody)

    Hey there –

    I’m so sorry for the trouble you had with the plugin. This sounds like a character encoding issue. Do you have all the backup files you were trying to use – the files and the database? If so, there might be a way for us to at least try and troubleshoot what happened there.

    I looked at your profile since I didn’t remember seeing a post from you and see that you posted in the general forums, and that switching to the default theme and deactivating plugins caused further issues.

    In any case, I am sorry you had trouble with our plugin and with your site more generally. I completely understand if you want to try a different option.

    But if you are interested in further troubleshooting I would be happy to try and work with you to resolve this if at all possible. Just email me at backupwordpress@hmn.md and remind me of the details of the issue you had. If you have a copy of the backup files you can attach that as well and I’ll be happy to take a look.

    Sorry again for the trouble you had,
    Kat

    Hi Kat

    Thank you for your apology. It is just a pity that I trusted others here on wordpress.org thinking that they were the experts. I will be much more careful in the future.

    As for my site – I will not take up your kind offer as I have already started the long process of deleting the images that have foreign characters and replacing them with English spellings. However, I am now left with hundreds of pages that have broken image links which will take some time to fix.

    It is time that WordPress updated the CMS software to allow for foreign characters in image files considering many of the worlds languages use different letters to us English speaking nations.

    I will most likely go back to a HTML static site once I have sorted the WP one out.

    Plugin Author katmoody

    (@katmoody)

    I’m so sorry for your trouble. If there’s ever anything we can do or if we can help dig into this further in the future just let us know.

    Best luck to you moving forward 🙁
    Kat

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Failed – when I needed it most’ is closed to new replies.