I have been for some weeks troubleshooting this problem: for some reason, Facebook won't show the desired description when sharing a page or post from my blog (it repeats the post's title). These are all the facts I've collected so far:
- Facebook should pull the information from the
meta og:descriptiontag within the header.
- Right now I'm using YOAST WordPress SEO plugin to add the Open Graph tags, and the source-code of the website shows them correctly.
- I found that og:description tag was duplicated, and the line not coming from YOAST's plugin had the post title as og:description content. That tag was added by Jetpack's Sharedaddy plugin. I deleted the function from sharedaddy-sources.php, and the duplication doesn't show up anymore.
- If I share the links on Google+, the description is fine
- If when sharing on Facebok I use WP's shortlink instead of the permalink, the description is fine
The problem is that I have easy access to the shortlink, but when users share the blog they are most likely going to copy the permalink or use the share buttons (which also pull the permalink).
I have the following plugins activated: Akismet, Captcha by BestWebSoft, Countdown Widget by Shailan.com, Digg Digg, Get Recent Comments, Google Integration Toolkit, Google XML Sitemaps, Jetpack, Smat Youtube PRO, WordPress SEO by YOAST.
I have tried to deactivate the plugins, but the problem persists.
My theme is a customized version from Sprayed Strokes by Free WordPress Themes (http://www.freewpthemes.net/). Maybe the problem is here, although I haven't found what could be the cause.
My blog's URL is http://www.enquepiensauncalcetin.com
Any help would be much appreciated, I really want to understand what the hell is going on!!!