I’m trying to redefine the URL used for accessing a WordPress site of mine. In this case I’m referring to a website running on my own computer using XAMPP. The desire is to duplicate an existing website and preserve the ability to access the present Version while testing changes on a new Version. While NOT able to say for certain it does seem, to me, like lots of others would also find this desirable.
I found what looks to be the WordPress proposed method to do such here . The basic problem I’m encountering is that WordPress seems to invent an invalid URL that produces a browser error saying that said website cannot be found. The invalid URL creation is described as follows:
- My intended URL is of the form “prefix.domain.org”
- The invalid URL reported by the browser is of the form “prefix.domain.net.com” (which I’d say is very unlikely to ever be valid).
My own findings when attempting to follow the WordPress proposed methods are as follows:
- Edit wp-config.php method : Produced error described above.
- Edit functions.php method : This method suggested loading the login page, which I did after making the indicated changes to Functions.php. After entering login information this produced the normal WordPress Dashboard page for administering the website which looked completely normal. This included having the new URL displayed on the “Settings>General” Page. However, when selecting the “Visit Site” link the browser reported the same invalid URL error.
- Relocate method : Did NOT try
- Change URL directly in the database method : No need to do it. The database had the correct value.
The Version of WordPress is 5.7.2 and XAMPP is Version 7.4.33. I do run the site using a Child Theme of my own making so I did opt to activate the standard theme upon which the child is based but NO change in results.
Could definitely use some help figuring out what’s producing this result.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.