Support » Plugin: Better Search Replace » Error: Try decreasing the “Max Page Size”

  • I’ve use this excellent plugin many times, on various servers, never a problem until today:

    “An error occurred processing your request. Try decreasing the “Max Page Size”, or contact support.”

    Still get the same error regardless of that setting. Hosting support checked the server — everything’s fine.

    What can be done?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I am having this exact same experience. Have reduced MAX PAGE SIZE to its lowest setting – 1000 – and still get the result. Would love to hear any ideas.

    No luck so far, I ended using a different plugin which mostly did the job. Although it left me wondering if there’s some sort WordPress / server conflict causing this unusual behavior.

    Can the developer comment or offer advise please?

    mandelkind

    (@mandelkind)

    Same issue over here. Any help?

    dogification

    (@dogification)

    I removed Better Search Replace plugin and used simply Search Replace plugin and this problem went away.

    mandelkind

    (@mandelkind)

    @dogification thanks for your response. I just seen this entry – solved my issue as well 🙂

    Having the same issue, and using the above info to remedy, I encountered additional unlisted errors and thus decided to outline how I was, eventually, able to utilize this plugin to actually work.

    • Step one back up database using myPHPAdmin in cPanel
    • install and select all tables to do a dry run attempting to replace staging.mydomainname.com with mydomainname.com results in error: “An error occurred processing your request. Try decreasing the “Max Page Size”, or contact support.”
    • No instructions to click the damn tab and not intuitively seeing it, do a google search for error > find this thread, click settings tab > WTF SITE IS SUDDENLY ERROR 404 > ENTIRE FUCKING SITE HOLY SHIT
    • Frantically reload page > nope > cPanel > myPHPAdmin > one more refresh of site before I fuck with database > site is back up what the hell > double check yep site is back up > back in Dashboard/Tools/Better Search Replace click Settings tab and change slider to lowest setting of 1000
    • Do a dry run of all tables again results in same error: “An error occurred processing your request. Try decreasing the “Max Page Size”, or contact support.”
    • Click settings tab > WTF SITE IS SUDDENLY ERROR 404 > ENTIRE FUCKING SITE HOLY SHIT AGAIN
    • Frantically reload page hoping it’s only temporary like last fucking time
    • Frantically reload page > took a dozen refreshes / 2 minutes but site comes back online – whew
    • How about one fucking table, can you do that? > Dry run of one table successful – no errors but table is 0MB and no cells found with exact phrase
    • Dry run 5 table search successful but no instances found > next dry run of 5 tables selected finds 2 instances
    • Kamikaze mofo do non-dry real search and replace on single table where those instances found and hope for the best > humph, actually worked without giving me an error > says it replaced the two instances
    • If you’re having this error, I strongly advise you to first change the settings under the Settings tab to it’s lowest (1000) and saving changes > if your site goes offline when you click the settings tab after doing a dry run pray that your site too will come back online after a few minutes of whatever the fuck this plugin dangerously does to make your entire site go down for a minute or two just because you tried to click the settings tab after doing a dry run and getting the original “Try decreasing the “Max Page Size” error.

      If it does come back online, like mine did, remember to do dry run searches on a small number of tables (I used 5 max as one time I did more than that and had to go through the site down bullshit again) – do the dry run until you find a single table with the instance you want to replace, and do the actual replace on ONE table at a time.

    • WORD OF CAUTION: The largest table in my database was 1.7MB – and that was very close to killing it. If you have a larger table in your database I’d be extremely cautious before attempting to use this as who the hell knows if it’s going to do something even weirder that really screws things up who know.
    • Good Luck!

    I could not get this plugin to work, not even by increasing PHP memory limit and decreasing “max page size” as recommended by this pinned support tread:

    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/an-error-occurred-processing-your-request-2/

    This plugin used to work fine in the past, so the issue might be related to either a newer version of the plugin / WordPress core or the PHP updates (and maybe setting changes) done by our hosting provider last week.

    However, I found an easy solution. There is another plugin seems to do pretty much the same things as this one (used to) and it worked without causing any problems:

    https://wordpress.org/plugins/search-and-replace/

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.