Support » Plugin: WooCommerce Services » Error: The WooCommerce Services server returned: 500 Internal Server Error

  • Resolved daboo

    (@daboo)


    Error: The WooCommerce Services server returned: Internal Server Error An internal server error occurred ( 500 )

    Hey there,

    I’ve been using and enjoying WooCommerce Services for about two weeks, and today I find myself unable to print labels. I’m greeted with the above error message when I go to print a label.

    I’ve tried to print labels for several different orders with the same result.

    There are no new plugins or theme changes that would be interfering (though I did deactivate as many as I could to be sure).

    In searching through similar support threads, I did find one that said the error went away the next day. Perhaps it is due to the postal holiday today?

    Not sure where to start with this, there don’t seem to be any relevant error messages in my logs.

    Thanks!
    John

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Follow up: turns out I’d left WooCommerce Services debug logging enabled! Yay!

    09-04-2017 @ 15:12:00 - wcc_server_error_response Error: The WooCommerce Services server returned: Internal Server Error An internal server error occurred ( 500 ) (WC_REST_Connect_Shipping_Label_Controller)

    The same error as above persists this morning. I’m not able to find any relevant errors anywhere else.

    This error was with unmodified Storefront activated, and only 4 plugins activated (WooCommerce, WooCommerce Services, Jetpack, & a maintenance mode plugin). I can’t imagine there are any conflicts.

    https://imgur.com/QiG363Q

    https://imgur.com/EkNCgAS

    09-05-2017 @ 09:23:06 - wcc_server_error_response Error: The WooCommerce Services server returned: Internal Server Error An internal server error occurred ( 500 ) (WC_REST_Connect_Shipping_Label_Controller)

    Again, this is on a live site that has been working correctly with WooCommerce Services for two weeks. No significant changes have been made to the site since it last worked to print labels.

    I haven’t been able to get far with the WooCommerce Services Error message. Definitely open to suggestions.

    Thanks!

    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  daboo.

    Well, after some testing I’ve tracked down the source of the error, but I can’t say I understand it.

    I found a section of my theme’s functions.php that seemed to have caused the conflict.

    What I don’t understand is why the error a) persisted after removing custom functions from functions.php, and b) persisted when using unmodified Storefront.

    Probably some fluke of my browser, though I did a hard refresh between tests.

    Anyway, hope this helps someone.

    Hey again,

    So sorry, I’m not sure how I missed this thread after reply to your other one!

    Okay, so this part:

    > What I don’t understand is why the error a) persisted after removing custom functions from functions.php, and b) persisted when using unmodified Storefront.

    Did the error persist after removing all custom functions, then start working correctly after a while? That could be caching related, or similar.

    Out of interest, can you let me know about these custom functions? The team would love to dig into this more as we haven’t seen any failures overall on the Services server.

    If you can open a ticket on WooCommerce.com at https://woocommerce.com/my-account/create-a-ticket/, with more information, that would be brilliant.

    Thanks!

    Back again, after some more troubleshooting.

    It turns out that the conflicting code I discovered was a false positive. In the days that followed, I would be able to buy and print labels for several different orders in a row, then encounter the same 500 Internal Server Error. No changes were made to the code during this time.

    After a bit of digging, I actually called my bank to cross that possibility off the list. Apparently Mastercard had been flagging some charges from WooCommerce Services, and halting them for further review. After a day or so I would be able to use that card again. This process repeated a few times. I’ve submitted a request to whitelist the charges in the future, but we’ll have to wait and see. Apparently this wasn’t my local bank’s fraud prevention dept, but Mastercard itself.

    Please consider this a request – if possible – to return a more detailed error when a payment problem arises. 500 Internal Server Error doesn’t really point to a payment issue, and it’s really only been luck/desperation that brought me to the solution.

    Thanks again for making a great product,
    John

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.