Edit/Save breaks things; Do it again, all is fine
I’m converting a WP 2.0.7 install to WP 2.3.1. Most things seem to be going okay, but I’ve hit a wall.
I’m looking at a single post and
1. Click edit on that post
2. Immediately hit save (i.e. not really changing anything)
I get back to the page, but all content after the end of the post doesn’t show up — no meta info at the end of the post, no sidebar, no footer. The page output just stops after the call to “the_content()”.
If I get to the edit screen for the post (or any other post) and do the same edit/save, the problem goes away – all is fine.
It doesn’t seem to depend on the post. It appears other changes can clear the problem, but I’m not sure what.
There are no error messages in the generated page (except when I turn on E_ALL – see below) or in the server logs.
I’m willing to believe this is a problem with a very old theme (TBS-blue, downloaded over a year ago, no longer available at the original site). I don’t see the problem when I use the Default theme.
I’m willing to believe it is related to the Category Access plugin, see http://www.coppit.org/code/, since it goes away when I deactivate that plugin. The 11/6/07 version, 0.8.2, says it supports WordPress 2.3.
If I turn on error_reporting(E_ALL) for single.php, I get a slew of errors referring to files in wp-includes (which don’t appear with the default theme), even when all plugins are deactivated. I don’t see that my pages are using any deprecated calls, but then I don’t really keep all those lists in my head.
So, can someone help with one of the following:
1) Where can I look to debug the current theme with the problem described above. What old code might I be using that would make just touching the content of a post have such side effects?
2) Is there another recommended plugin that provides a fairly simple category access: A visitor who isn’t logged in can see the titles of all posts, but can’t see the post contents for articles in certain categories.
3) Where’s a good list of v2.3.1 ready themes? I’m willing to pay something. I don’t need widgets. I don’t need fancy graphics. But I’m not a graphics designer or CSS expert and would prefer to start with a solid foundation that I can tweak.
Sorry to go on so long…
- The topic ‘Edit/Save breaks things; Do it again, all is fine’ is closed to new replies.