WP Version: 2.8.3 (out of the box install, no upgrade, not extra plugins, default themes).
Browser: IE 7 (fully latest patched to today).
Server OS: Windows 2003 / IIS 6 (fully patched to today)
PHP Version: 5
MySQL Version: 5.1
Client OS: XP (latest sp and fully patched)
Client Security System: CA Internet Suite (current) & McAfee Sec Centre (current) – on different machines.
The following issue is present with all instances of IE7 on our network, but NOT in FireFox 2.0.2
1. Connect to blog site with IE 7 – ok
2. Login – ok
3. Create a new post OR edit an existing post – ok Screen displays correctly.
4. Update/Publich the content using the Update/Publish button – Ok (posted successfully)
5.a Edit Post screen redisplays with error message (“done with errors”) and the tiny MCE edit panel is blank and missing the main toolbar (the upload/insert tool bar is visible).
5.b Select the Visual/HTML tabs displays an error about the switch routine being undefined.
5.c Highlight the content of the edit panel and the text displays (in other words the text colour is white when not highlighted).
Any further attempts to create a new post or edit a post result in the same error – ie. no further post edits or creations are possible.
Relogging and restarting IE or OS does not solve the problem.
Behaviour exhibited on all machines on network.
1. Deleting the temporary internet files in the browser solves the problem. I.e you can create/edit a post, but once the edit page is revisited the problem starts again. Deleting the temporary internet files ones again solves the problem.
2. Turn on debugging in the browser shows that the problem is that the script files referenced in the header are not being loaded: jquery, utils, editor, quicktags. The first error encounter is that the edToolbar() “object” is not defined arround line 474. This is the section of code where the page tries to insert the MCE toolbar.
3. Leave the debugger running and investigate some other pages. Repeated errors are displayed:
a. dashboard.css file with the closing “}” on the same line as the attribute throws an exception in line 1. of the first admin page.
b. in edit post in addition to the edToolbar, getUserSetting(“hidetb”,”0″)==”1″ is also undefined (probably because of the earlier script load issue).
c. The jQuery() routine is frequently undefined. All admin pages essentially throw the same errors – as if the scripts in the earlier identified line are repeatedly failing to load. Checking the content of the scripts listed each time against the functions that are not defined appears to confirm the suspicion. First load is ok, second attempt fails.
- The topic ‘Edit panel blanking when editing posts’ is closed to new replies.