I’m helping a company migrate their 20 blogs from posterous to wordpress, and I think multisite is ideal for the purpose. However, I’m having trouble figuring out how exactly to set it up with their subdomain structure.
Keep in mind all these blogs are already up and running on posterous with a ton of content, and I can’t cause downtime to the blogs. How would you recommend I set this up?
1) Set up a “setup” subdomain for wordpress multisite, blogsetup.maindomain.com. Set up all the multisite blogs as sub-subdomains, e.g. blog-en.blogsetup.maindomain.com.
2) Once the content is all imported, use the domain mapping plugin and set the CNAME records of all the subdomains (blog-en.maindomain.com) to point to the sub-subdomains (blog-en.blogsetup.maindomain.com).
I figure this way I can get the blogs up and running before pointing the domains over, so there won’t be any downtime. My questions are,
1) Can the domain mapping plugin handle pointing external subdomains to these internal sub-subdomains?
2) Obviously I don’t want the users to ever see the ugly sub-subdomain address. Does the domain mapping plugin completely hide this?
3) Is there a smarter way to do this type of setup? 😉
Thanks a lot for your help.
- The topic ‘Domain Mapping with External SUBdomains’ is closed to new replies.