Support » Plugin: Molongui Author Box, Guest Author & Co-Author » Display problems on Users admin list

  • Resolved matthieulllrc

    (@matthieulllrc)


    Hello

    The Users admin list has the following display problems in the Entries column:

    1 – Sometimes the numbers of posts/pages/cpt displayed are erroneous.

    2 – When the chosen language is French (fr_FR), the number of posts is duplicated, one with the name “Articles” (the correct translation) and the other with the name “Publications”. The problem does not appear in Arabic, Chinese, English (US or UK), Canadian French or Spanish. The source of the problem seems to originate with the different ways the names of the post types are translated in the function fill_columns in /includes/class-users.php.
    On line 50, this fragment __( 'Posts' ) returns “Publications” when it should return “Articles”, which is very strange because it uses the standard WP translation which should be correct.

    3 – Not a bug per se, in the original WordPress Entries column, the number of posts serves as a link to the user’s list of post. It would be nice to add back that functionnality.

    4 – Another nice to have: the post type name’s plural mark could be ajusted according to the number of posts/pages/cpt, i.e. 1 Post, 2 Posts, etc.

    Regards.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Plugin Author Molongui

    (@molongui)

    Hi @matthieulllrc,

    thanks for such a detailed report! We’ll look into it.

    We are going to check it again, but one explanation about “Entries” column not displaying the exact number of authored posts is because the plugin is updating that information as a background process. Can’t tell if that could be your case. It usually happens on sites with a large number of posts.

    Thread Starter matthieulllrc

    (@matthieulllrc)

    Hello

    Concerning the number of posts in the entries column, in one case, the number displayed is 24 posts for a user that has 0 posts. This is on a test site with less then 10 posts.

    In other examples, the difference are less obvious, 1 or 2 posts.

    I see that you use a meta key, ‘molongui_author_’.$post_type[‘id’].’_count’.

    Is there a way to reset it and force a recalculation?

    Regards.

    Plugin Author Molongui

    (@molongui)

    Hi @matthieulllrc,

    we are not able to reproduce the issue about posts count (issue #1). Now we think that it might be related with the issue #2 you reported. Could that 24 count be the sum of posts and pages authored by that user? Or… you didn’t mention it specifically, but is yours a multi-language site? Might that 24 come from the sum of posts in several languages from that author?

    You can update that count on a per user basis by assigning/removing an author to/from a post. On save, involved authors get their counters updated. Also, deactivating and re-activating the plugin should update all the counters for those post types where plugin functionality is enabled on – that is posts and pages with Molongui Authorship Free.

    Thread Starter matthieulllrc

    (@matthieulllrc)

    Hello

    About the issue with posts count (issue #1), the user has no posts and no pages.
    In fact, on that site, the user had no role.
    That is why the issue is so clearcut.

    I noticed that all erroneous post counts are for users with no role on the site.
    This might be a lead.

    The problem remains even when changing the display language, so it does not seem to be related to issue #2.

    Note that our WordPress is multisite and each site uses only one language.

    I gave the user the Author role, created a post under her name and the error disappeared, by that, I mean, the number of posts became 1.

    Strangely, after trashing the post and emptying the trash, the number of posts associated with that user remained 1.

    Regards.

    Plugin Author Molongui

    (@molongui)

    Hi @matthieulllrc,

    we have been able to address all the issues you reported and the fixes will be included in the next plugin update (4.2.0):

    1) As you very well pointed out, users without a role were ignored, that’s why post count was wrong. By default, the plugin takes ‘administrator’, ‘editor’, ‘contributor’ and ‘author’ roles as the ones an author might have. The Pro version allows you to select which user roles you want the plugin to consider, been able to select even custom user roles and the “without_role” role. As user roles selection option is not available in the lite version of the plugin, you can make use of the available authorship/user/roles filter, returning an array of user roles that includes the molongui_no_role role.

    2) We haven’t been able to reproduce this issue, but we have applied some changes that hopefully will address it. Please feel free to reopen this ticket if this isn’t fixed.

    3) We will include this one in our roadmap.

    4) Done.

    *) We have already fixed the issue regarding post count not getting updated after trashing a post.

    Thank you so much for reporting all this and providing such helpful information about how to identify the issues!

    I’m closing the ticket now. If after updating to version 4.2.0 (when available in a few days) something is still wrong, feel free to re-open this ticket and we will look into it.

    Thread Starter matthieulllrc

    (@matthieulllrc)

    Hello

    Thank you very much!

    Regards.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Display problems on Users admin list’ is closed to new replies.