WordPress.org

Forums

[resolved] display pdf files using an embed command (5 posts)

  1. steveredshaw
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I am embedding some pdf files on my site, using the <embed> method described in this post;

    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/pdf-display-in-wordpress-3

    The widest I can make the embed window in my theme is 680, but the displayed pdf file is loaded wider than this. There is a pop-up menu at the bottom of the embed window giving options of; fitting the whole pdf within the embed window, fitting the width to the embed window, printing or saving the file (which is great because it gives those options to my site users).

    Can I arrange that the pdf file fits the width of the embed window by default so that the user does not have to do this manually?

  2. Daiv Mowbray
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    To control the display size of your file would probably need some css coding, especially if you are using:
    <embed src="NAME OF FILE.pdf" width="500" height="375">
    if the pdf is not presenting at 500px wide.
    send a sample link of your issue.

  3. steveredshaw
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    That is the command I have used. I tried referencing a pdf file fromGoole Drive but nothing showed up on my web page.

    My web page with pdf embeded looks like this.

    I need to do this to bring it down to the width of my embed window.

    So I need somehow to control the width of the pdf file - if coding is needed I would need to know what and where to put it...

  4. Daiv Mowbray
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Like I said, a sample page online would help to trouble shoot this issue.

  5. steveredshaw
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    thanks for help so far, I have decided to use the Google Document viewer for dealing with pdfs on my site. Linking to a shared document stored on a Google Drive gives a clear, adaptable view of the document, which can also be printed out or downloaded.

    I have tried the plug-in Embedly, but that didn't really achieve the look or functionality I was after. I also discovered the <embed> command did not display on all browsers. I seemed to be going down a rather bumpy track which might have turned out to be a dead end!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags