Sorry for the delay, yes this has been resolved and I was able to recover my store. As "baldguy67" mentioned, I had to be pointed to the right direction but.
This is what I did with help of support for a fee.
My hosting company does a weekly backup of my SQL database, however when it came to recover the database I had to pay $12/year which wasn't a problem to fix this issue.
1) create a new, blank database on your server and import the backed up database into it.
2) delete the demo products from your store.
3) export the store database tables (one at a time) for the database you have just created - export DATA ONLY!! (NOTE *** I used phpmyadmin to do this step as it was easier that using mySql)
4) import the tables, one at a time, into your store database. (NOTE ***I used phpmyadmin to do this step as it was easier that using mySql)
5) upload all the images that were in the /wp-content/plugins/WP-online-store-product-images/images/ folder (Look for a backup that you might have made or see if your host company has a schedule backup running).
The majority of the steps above(modified with my findings) were given to me by support at a cost and I am posting them here so I can help others.
Hope it helps
All the best