Support » Fixing WordPress » DB Collation Issues

  • kenlentz


    I’ve read numerous topics on this but am still unsure what to do.

    My situation:
    – 1 week ago, I installed a new WP 2.2 install
    – I did not change the default char set or collation settings in the config file
    – Install went fine, but 3 or 4 plugins I’ve installed since have problems and generating errors relative to collation – specifically latin1_swedish_ci
    – Looking in phpMyAdmin and it says that my database charset is UTF-8 Unicode (utf8) and my collation is utf8_general_ci
    – Looking in several of the tables related to the problem plugins, I see fields with latin1_swedish_ci

    What should I do??

    My blog is new with almost no content so a complete wipe and reinstall is not that big a deal. But if I do that, what settings should I use to prevent these problems from happening again?

    Should I login to phpMyAdmin immediately after creating the database (but before any tables are created) and specify a different default collation?

    Should I specify a collation in the DB_COLLATION in the WP config file rather than leaving it blank?

    HELP!!?? (Thanks!)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • MichaelH


    First of all, report those plugins here if you could, please. Then report that to the respective plugin authors.

    Then you might follow the strategy outline in Converting_Database_Character_Sets to fix those tables. There’s also a conversion script that might give you some ideas–it is listed in



    Thanks Michael. The plugins that I am aware of are:

    Ultimate Tag Warrior

    I’m still unclear what to do however. The SQL commands are way over my head. I guess my 2 main questions are:

    1. What should I set my DB_COLLATE parameter in the config file to – or should I leave it blank?
    2. What should by Charset and Collation settings be on the MySQL database?



    As a followup… I’ve tried a fresh install a couple different ways…

    1. setting my database collation settings to latin1_swedish_ci (from the default of utf8_general_ci) – RESULT: WP WORKS, BUT SAME COLLATION ERROR ON PLUGINS

    2. Leaving my database collation on utf8_general_ci but adding that to the DB_COLLATION parameter of the WP Config file rather than leaving is blank – RESULT: WP WORKS, BUT SAME COLLATION ERROR ON PLUGINS

    3. Setting my database collation settings to latin1_swedish_ci (from the default of utf8_general_ci) and setting the DB_COLLATION parameter of the WP config file to latin1_swedish_ci – RESULT: ALL KINDS OF ERRORS INITIALIZING WP

    I’m really getting frustrated here. WP works fine, but am having many plugins issues that all seem to have something to do with collation.



    Oops – forgot to mention the following stats if they matter:

    Windows Server 2003
    MySQL 4.1.7
    PHP 4.3.11
    phpMyAdmin 2.6.0-pl3



    For my databases I see:
    MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
    MySQL connection collation: utf8_unicode_ci

    Each of the tables in my Version 2.2 database have utf8_general_ci Collation.

    And wp-config.php has the standard

    define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
    define('DB_COLLATE', '');

    I’m not using any of the plugins you mentioned.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘DB Collation Issues’ is closed to new replies.