Support » Fixing WordPress » Database corrpution…oh, and I proceeded screwed up my entire site.

  • Resolved lindzer


    Hey there,

    I’m a total amateur when it comes to handling anything that isn’t totally straightforward in web dev, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Earlier this week, the site that I set up for started having issues; every post/page had multiple duplicates, and links to these pages would give me 404 errors. Searching through these pages wouldn’t work, and editing them wouldn’t work either. I asked a more experienced developer at work what was wrong and he said that the database was corrupted. I logged into the phpmyadmin and saw duplicates of the databases.

    I should have asked first, but I took a backup of the current database and then dropped the duplicates thinking that would be the answer. It wiped out my site, which freaked me out but I just decided to reupload the database backup I just downloaded. I then apparently had to reinstall WordPress. That didn’t work either, and now the entire site is wiped out.

    Is there any chance that I could get the site back up to what it was, even if its the corrupted version? And then take it from there? It’s pretty urgent, the site is for a non-profit organization and they really need their content up.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)


    If you have a full DB backup, just restore that to a separate DB. Then point your wp-config.php to that DB and you should be fine.



    Thank you so much for your help! It makes me feel better that I didn’t totally screw up everything permanently.

    However now when I load the site I get a server error (HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.). Any advice on what to do next?



    Forum Moderator

    – switching to the Twenty Eleven theme by renaming your current theme’s folder inside wp-content/themes and adding “-old” to the end of the folder name using FTP or whatever file management application your host provides.

    resetting the plugins folder by FTP or phpMyAdmin.

    – re-uploading all files & folders – except the wp-content folder – from a fresh download of WordPress.



    Thanks so much!

    After resetting each plugin and checking the error log, I found that this plugin was the culprit.
    This person was having the exact same problem, however theirs seemed to be fixed after deactivation and my pages were still unable to be accessed.

    I tried repairing all of the tables, but they all gave me “The storage engine for the table doesn’t support repair” messages. Optimizing tables gives me a status of OK but with a note: “Table does not support optimize, doing recreate + …”

    I also installed W3 Total Cache and tried to empty the caches after reading some other posts with similar issues, but still none of my sub pages were accessible. The content showed up fine on the homepage and I hadn’t been receiving errors in the log, but I was unable to see anything linked anywhere else on the site.

    I was about to post another cry for help, but 5 minutes ago I had finally just figured out that changing the permalink structure from post name to default, and back to post name again did the trick.

    Thanks so much for your help everyone!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Database corrpution…oh, and I proceeded screwed up my entire site.’ is closed to new replies.