^_^ Great! Thanks so much for the help, unoamigo! I've managed to find just about everything I need, but now I have more questions...
1. I was able to switch the comments into pop-up mode. However, I see that when clicking to an entry from the "Most Recent" list, from the (work in progress) archive page, or from the "previous" and "next" links, the resulting page is displayed with the comment area expanded. I don't want this to happen; I would prefer it to be closed at all times with only the comment link showing. How could I go about this?
2. At first I was pretty alarmed when I tried out my password-protected test post (Test 5 on the list) and afterwards it always displayed openly. Then I found a forum post that said the access is kept in a cookie on the user's computer. That's both a nice convenience and a security risk...is there a way to set this cookie to expire (does it already expire)?
3. Is there a way to customize the message that displays on password protected entries so that people will know which entries apply to them (ie, "This is a protected entry for Group 1 users" vs "This is a protected entry for Group 2 users")? I plan on using different passwords for different types of entries, but it doesn't look like there's a way to differentiate between them. These passwords will be predetermined...can the set password and the template be linked somehow?
4. I found code for "previous" and "next" entry links. These are great. However, I was curious to know if there is a way to display both at all times, regardless of what entry is currently being looked at, and when there are no more entries to click to for one or the other, the link simply defaults to text? Otherwise, the setup looks a little awkard with the text divider just there but not dividing anything.
5. Archive. I've made an attempt; the entries will post by title. Anyone have any ideas how I can go from here to customize it further (group the title list by months for organization, and split the whole archive by year)? I looked at the includes but unfortunately I just don't have that level of understanding yet!