I would love some help and thoughts on this. I have been working on testing comparison of PODS vs. Custom types for this and here are the issues.
It seems that WP doesn't allow any mixed parent/child relationship with custom types that are hierarchical.
* List creation system using "List" objects and "item" objects
* Users can CRUD lists
* Users can create child items for their own lists
* Items have a (many-item -> 1-list) relationship
* Users must ONLY have edit rights to their content (list, items)
Custom Types (CONS):
Has issues with relational setup; hierarchical custom types can only be related to the same custom type. Meaning, I can't create two custom type "lists" and "items" and have the "item edit" GUI have a related to list functionality based on lists that user has added only.
Custom Types (PROS):
I can take advantage of the "Members" plugin for user role based permissions and the ACL. PODS hasn't quite gotten to where I can allow a newly registered user to easily only access their created content vs. all pods based content in the system.
Again, the user permissions are the big issue for me. I don't have an easy way for a user to only see a queried set of ONLY their lists when choosing to add items.
* The relationship capability makes setting up lists -> items super easy
* The UI is out-of-the-box good, plus I have greater code editing control to enhance it
Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks for your time.