After I install WP and change the permalinks to custom settings, the posts are sent to 404 pages.
I have other WP sites running on the same server with custom permalinks that work fine. All of them are running 2.5.1. The server is an Ubuntu server running a typical LAMP stack and I'm trying to install WP 2.6.
What I've done to troubleshoot so far:
1) made the htaccess file writable by WP (666, 766 and 777) and also manually made the changes
2) setup a brand new virtual dev server
3) added /category and /tag to the respective fields
4) tried the index.php fixes
5) changed the custom permalinks to every option including just %postname%
6) tested the 2.6.1 beta release
Please Help! :)