[Resolved] Custom permalink and 404.php error
I decided to start a new thread on this existing topic to consolidate some of my findings. My apologies if anyone finds this yet-another-thread-on-the-same-topic annoying.
I came across what appears to be a bug in the WordPress 2.0x build and am going to attempt to debug it. Though I haven’t succeeded yet, I’m going to post my steps here, in the hopes that someone will see this and spark a solution of their own.
To Reproduce this Bug:
- Install WordPress 2.0.2 (latest build as of this post)
- Create a test blog entry
- Go to the Admin screen -> Options -> Permalinks
- Select the “Date and name based” option
- Click on “Update Permalink Structure”
- Click on “View Site” (at the top of the page)
- Click on your test blog entry – this should be working fine
- Type in a directory or filename that you know does not exist in your blog, so you can trigger a 404 error
If this bug exists in your build, you’ll get this error message (or something similar):
The requested URL /cgi-bin/php/index.php was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
In my next post, I’ll go into my system’s details.
- The topic ‘[Resolved] Custom permalink and 404.php error’ is closed to new replies.