Support » Plugin: Autoptimize » Cron leftover severe issue

  • We used it for some time than we changed to another plus, same functions. The thing for the one is that this plugin left a cron job once uninstalled (and a DB entry but that is normal). This cron job was causing an infinite loop that overload massively the server’s CPU crashing the site on some occasion, after hours and hours of troubleshooting we finally find the issue in the cron… and once deleted all magically went back to normal… for the hours spent to find the issue it deserve a 1, or even zero if possible. For the rest is seems to do the job…

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Plugin Author Optimizing Matters

    (@optimizingmatters)

    hey @giac ; all cron jobs _should_ get removed, which one was not in your case?

    giac

    (@giac)

    Don’t remember, we were using Autoptimize on several sites and all had the same issue

    Plugin Author Optimizing Matters

    (@optimizingmatters)

    OK, I’ll doublecheck to code for removal of all cronned jobs & do some test-deactivations.

    Plugin Author Optimizing Matters

    (@optimizingmatters)

    Did a code review and;

    * there is only one scheduled job in AO 2.6; ao_cachechecker
    * at code-level ao_cachechecker is properly removed when uninstalling
    * it is not explicitly removed when disabling though, I’ll look into adding that -> question: did you disable, uninstall (from WordPress) or remove/ rename the plugin folder?
    * but I don’t see how the leftover cronjob could cause server issue though; the cron job runs 2 times a day and when it fails (as the hook is not there) nothing happens in my tests, do you have any info (PHP errors from the errorlog) what might explain how the orphaned hook caused the CPU to spike?

    giac

    (@giac)

    Website there are not just a simple WP installation, as you know, there are several others plugins, themes, server configuration and so on, we had 10 cpu&ram and still we were going to 250-300 cpu load, the crons runs on the server side not the built in wp so it was a very complex environment, now we have 7 core nd 8 ram and all is fine, essentially we lost quite a good amount of cash as well. I can’t help you more, we didn’t inspect once all returned normal… was just wanted to eventually help someone else ending in the same situation. Ah, the plugin was regularly deactivated and uninstalled from within the admin.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this review.