The Archives Page
for WP 1.5
Upload the archives.php in your theme directory (wp-content/themes/themename/). Then from the Admin Panel, Write > Write Page, and choose Add a New Page:
1. Give your new archives Page a suitable title like Archive Index. Leave the Page content blank.
2. Under Custom Fields, select _wp_page_template from the dropdown. Leave the Key field blank, and enter archives.php into the Value field.
3. Click Add Custom Field.
4. Voila! Your archive index can be accessed at http://example.com/index.php?pagename=archive-index.
I wanted to create an archive page, but I got so far as to create the page and got stuck. I don’t have ANY drop-down menus. I’ve tried multiple browsers, but there are absolutely NO drop down menus. WHat do I do? 🙁
Add this to your theme folder, call it archive-page.php
<?php /** * @package WordPress * @subpackage Default_Theme */ /* Template Name: Archive Page */ ?> <?php get_header(); ?> <div id="content" class="widecolumn"> <h2>Yearly Archives:</h2> <ul> <?php wp_get_archives('type=yearly'); ?> </ul> </div> <?php get_footer(); ?>
Now create a new page (Pages->Add new), leave the content blank, then in the Attributes module select Archive Page for the Template.
Attributes module? The only thing there is page parent and page order. There is no template choice or archive anything!
1. Create the page template in your theme folder.
2. Add the new page and you should see the Template option.
Review Pages article for creating page templates.
I don’t understand a thing I just read. Can you explain?
Can’t explain it any better than the links I’ve provided.
Then I’m just as stuck as I was when I started. 🙁 Isn’t there anyone else who can help me with this then?
Oh, you could have told me you edited the post up there. I’ll have to try that (if I can figure out what I’m doing…)
- The topic ‘Creating an Archive Index > No Drop-Down Menus’ is closed to new replies.