Thank you for any suggestions you have for this. This is my first time working with a child-theme and so I have been scared to update my WordPress for fear that things will get goofed up. I should mention that I made changes to the parent-theme(Elegant Themes-Trim) before I learned about child-themes. Here are my concerns.
1. I am using a Theme that I have already done some messing around with. I just created a child-theme of it. The Child theme shows up as an available theme but the Live View is blank when I click on it. Is that right?
2. I have not made any changes to the new child-theme. Does that make a difference?
3. If I activate it, and something is wrong, will my site go back to the way it was by re-activating the parent?
4. Should I have any concern about updating WordPress?
5. From what I understand, as long as I have the child-theme active, the parent can be updated and I will not loose the changes on my site. Does that still apply even through I had made changes to the parent before making a child?
6. The style.css file that I created in the child only has the header info and the import comand. From a tutorial that I watched, I think that I only put in the changes that I want to make. Until now, I have figured things out by making little changes in the original theme file. Should I copy that into the new file or start doing it as in the tutorial?
7. Last question… When I work on making changes to the site, do all of these changes go live immediately or is there a way for me to work on it and then send it all out into the world. I want to make big changes but don’t want it visible while I am trying to figure it out.
Thanks for your suggestions.
- The topic ‘Creating a child theme and wordpress update’ is closed to new replies.