For a club website I maintain, I want to enable ‘club officers’ with appropriate permissions to add new website users, but when new users are added, we need to record more information than just the standard WordPress fields (eg. want to record info such as ‘address’ and ‘phone number’). The important point is that extra fields should be available on the ‘Add Users’ page in the Dashboard (ie. not the ‘register’ page). However, after quite a lot of searching, I can’t find a way to extend the fields specifically on the ‘Dashboard > Users > Add New’ page (everything else can be extended or overridden it seems from my searching though).
I have played with the ‘Cimy User Extra fields’ plugin, and it does everything I want for extending user fields, except add the fields on the ‘Dashboard > Users > Add New’ page (note that it does add the fields on the ‘registration’ page though).
So I have thought of a few options of how to add the fields I want:
1) Password protect the ‘Register’ page with the additional fields as created by Cimy Extra User fields plugin, so that only ‘admins’ can access the page
2) Create a completely new ‘add new user’ page in the admin section (inc. possibly create a new plugin)
3) override the ‘Dashboard > Users > Add New’ page, and add the new fields – can anyone tell me if this is possible and how though?
4) duplicate the ‘Dashboard > Users > Add New’ page, but modify it so that after creating a user, it redirects to the user ‘Profile’ page extended by Cimy Extra User fields plugin, so that the extra fields can then be filled in (ie. “step 2”).
What would you recommend is the best way to achieve this, in terms of a ‘clean’ solution (ie. not hacking the WP core)), as well as not too much development work? (option 1 seems like it’d be good if there’s a way to do it but I’m not sure how to restrict it to certain roles?)
- The topic ‘Create new/override existing dashboard 'Add New' User page’ is closed to new replies.