Corrupt WP files – need fresh program
Greetings from Sunny Florida,
Website: http://DaynaLCheser.com There’s nothing to see on the website, in connection with this problem as it’s in the dashboard.
I’ve been using WP for over 4 years now, first a ‘.com’ version for my old blog, and for the last 1.5 years, on my self-hosted website. I’ve received many compliments about my website (and not just for content – LOL).
Back in December, I had a big problem. Part of the solution was to upgrade my hosting, which I did. In the transfer from the old server to the new one, some WP files got corrupted. That was evident immediately as the transfer actually made things worse. Long story short, I worked through the problem and the site has been running perfectly since then … until this week.
I have a new menu tab with pages all set up that I want to put up on my site but can’t. I suspect this is more corrupt files left over from December. This is just coming to light now since I haven’t attempted to add pages since before the transfer. Problem: The pages aren’t showing up on the edit menu page at all. I can’t assign a location in the menu to files that aren’t there.
Also, the pages that are shown in the ‘most recent pages’ section are not all there. The same files are missing on the Pages page, in the right column where the hierarchy is assigned. In the ‘all pages’ section, they seem to be all there.
The result is that I’m stuck with my website just as it is or add new content (at the menu level). My site will die a slow death if it remains at status quo, so I’d like to fix this problem.
It seems to me that if I were to download and replace my WP program with a complete, new, fresh copy, the missing/corrupt files would be replaced. However, I don’t know how to go about this fix – I’m not a computer guru. I’m just a retired lady who needs a website.
Here’s what I’ve done so far.
1) I contacted the theme designer, thinking this was a theme problem. He says it’s not, it’s a WP problem. He also added that changing my theme, which I don’t want to do, won’t change the problem – it will still be there.
2) I didn’t even bother contacting my hosting company as they told me after the transfer, the original files are gone, so they can’t help me – the transfer was 3 months ago.
3) I eliminated my computer being the problem as the problems still exists when I use my husband’s laptop.
4) I’m well aware of the menu process as my site has 32 pages now, all put up by me – lots of experience (not operator error).
I spent nearly a year looking for the perfect theme for my needs so I really don’t want to change it. In any event, the theme developer told me that changing the theme won’t fix this problem.
So, how do I go about downloading a fresh WP program (in hopes that will fix the problem) without losing my website in the process? The way I see it, if there are any other corrupt files hiding in the program, replacing the program will take care of all of them, all at once.
Or, am I way off base in my ‘diagnosis’?
Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.
Pen name: Dayna Leigh Cheser
- The topic ‘Corrupt WP files – need fresh program’ is closed to new replies.