http://www.emotiomentalgraffiti.com has been my latest website project and is my latest WP theming project.
I’m to a point in my theming process where I’m about 75% done and about 90% satisfied with my results.
I know there is a lot more I can do and there is some more that I think I want to do, but I know that too much might become overkill, which is something I want to avoid.
If anyone has the time and energy, I would appreciate it if you could take a look at my site and poke around it a bit (there is no content, really, yet) to look at the layout, the design, and structuring of things and then give me some constructive criticism and/or commentary.
Here is what I had in mind when I first started building and designing the theme:
EMG: Enigmatic-FLEX is a two-columned, flexible-width (shrinks and expands to fit different screen resolutions) theme inspired by the Uchilla theme that has been built and designed using strict XHTML 1.0 and CSS 2.0 coding and has been rigorously tested to be cross-browser compatible for Firefox 2.0+, Internet Explorer 7.0+*, Safari 3+, and Opera 9.5+.
The style of the theme is the result of a marriage between grayscale high-contrast high-tech elegance and post-apocalyptic alleyway grunge with a handful of rock ‘n’ roll and punk thrown in and about for a good measure.
The theme is as indulgent as it is practical as it features a collection of personalized custom graphics to adorn the simplistic two-column flexible design.
The theme is also as enigmatic as it is straightforward as there are secrets that are tucked away amongst objects visible to the naked eye while the man with the Mona Lisa smile looks on.
Elegant grunge. Straightforward mystery. Practical Impracticality.
– I like what I have, now, but am not entirely sure if I managed to hit the original idea of my theme on the nail head or not. If I haven’t, please give me suggestions on how to do so. I am looking more for a feel rather than blatant ‘THIS IS GRUNGE!’ so telling me to look up ‘grunge’ and ‘punk’ and such will not help.
– My theme is indulgent (my personal website catering first and foremost to my own tastes) and in some ways, user-unfriendly because of all the graphical adornments. Accessibility is important to me, despite this, so I have been hesitant to do more graphical work on the site. Opinions on the amount of ‘prettiness’ – enough vs not enough – are much appreciated.
– I have done my best to make my theme as cross-browser compatible as possible and where the png graphics will show up with disgusting blue backgrounds in IE 6 due to the alpha transparencies, the layout itself and the placement of everything will and should show up properly. If the layout doesn’t show up properly, please let me know and tell me how to reproduce the error?
– The theme is flexible width, meaning that the layout will scale according to viewing window size. The font/text however, will not (yet). I only have a 1024 x 768 monitor to view the layout and can scale down to 800 x 600. Can someone with a greater resolution monitor take a look and screenshot me what my layout looks like on their screen?
– I don’t mind the ‘blog’ish look (with all the entries down a column and looking like blog entries), but am wondering if anyone has any other ideas for content presentation or thoughts.
– I have the number of entries to display at 10. Is that too many? The content on the site will mostly feature creative writing pieces (the majority of the content hidden under the ‘read more’ function) and some of my musings and ramblings and maybe even artwork.
– If I feature artwork on my site, I am thinking of adding a X number of recent pieces of artwork section to my layout, maybe at the bottom of the writing content in its own container strip with thumbnails of the artwork featured in the container. Too out-of-the-way? A better way to present a navigation strip of artwork?
Whew. What a long post. Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for taking the time.
- The topic ‘Constructive Crit Appreciated for my WP Theme!’ is closed to new replies.