WordPress.org

Forums

Duplicator
Charset encoding error when duplicating files with Swedish letters ÅÄÖ (10 posts)

  1. chrillefkr
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    When duplicating my website ÅÄÖ and åäö in filenames are not correct. Instead they appear as bjöörns-cykel.jpg instead of bjöörns-cykel.jpg. This is a big issue when working with Swedish filenames, or any other language with non-English, or as i think it's called, latin letters.

    https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

  2. ninjacolin
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Same for Russian. :(

  3. Cory Lamle
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 1 year ago #

    Maybe its something with the ZipArchive class, I'll have to do some research on this...

  4. chrillefkr
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Thank you! If there's someway I could help you, just tell me!

  5. Cory Lamle
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 1 year ago #

    Hey Chrillefkr,

    If you know how to code or someone that does it will probably get done much faster as I have a pretty big todo list right now... Here is the repository for where contributions can be made

    GitHub: https://github.com/lifeinthegrid/duplicator

    Cheers~

  6. webaware
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    You are probably pulling from a Linux hosting to a Windows PC. On Windows, PHP can't handle UTF-8 encoded filenames correctly -- it's a limitation of PHP, and why people say that PHP doesn't really do Unicode (and why the much vaunted, never delivered PHP6 is supposed to be "the saviour")

    See http://stackoverflow.com/a/1887617/911083

    cheers,
    Ross

  7. Cory Lamle
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 1 year ago #

    Yeah PHP is a strange beast that is for sure... Thanks for that update @webaware...

    Cheers~

  8. are3na
    Member
    Posted 9 months ago #

    Swedish - After 2 days of messing i solved it thrue phpadmin.

    I had this problem for all my migrations due to the swedish letters åäö missing in both the menu and product names. (i never use åäö in images)

    Some strange way i noticed in the log file from Duplicator Installer process that it said that the database server used latin1 as charset but as I could see it was utf8. I changed it to utf8mb4_general_ci in "Generall settings" in phpMyAdmin for the _db just to be sure and now all works like a Charm. The migration is a 100% clone :D

    Duplicator has saved me so many hours of work so heads up to you guys.

  9. villevetela
    Member
    Posted 9 months ago #

    are3na, do you have Linux or Windows in your local machine? I have tried meny combinations, but this just doesn't work for me. I just try utf8mb4_general_ci in both databases, but no luck...

  10. are3na
    Member
    Posted 9 months ago #

    Villevetela-
    Local machine is Windows and I have provider Loopia.

    Forogt to tell that in the .zip packade you probably need to edit the database file because there is 1 line that has CHARSET=latin1 instead of CHARSET=utf8 as the rest has. Open the zip file and just take the sql file and open it with notpad++ and edit the line and the put it back in the .zip file again. Then do the process as normal...

    Hope this really turn out well for you cause its a mess

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

  • Duplicator
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Support Threads
  • Reviews

About this Topic