WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] Character encoding problem (3 posts)

  1. JJF4U
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hi;
    I got wrong characters display on my wordpress installation (both on back and front-end), but it only occurs on Opera 12, Internet Explorer 7 & 8 (just on special characters) and on Safari 5 (where it's impossible to read anything except few menus and titles in navbars which display totally correctly, including special characters; while administration's working well except special characters). Firefox 14 and Google Chrome 22 display everything correctly, I didn't try on other browsers/versions.

    The big deal is I intended a lot of tricks explained on the web like on this page using a php script called "convert_to_utf8_sql_generator" which worked perfectly with just an error on wp_postmeta table.

    My wp-config.php displays correctly
    define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
    define('DB_COLLATE', '');

    When I display source code on a web browser (this is HTML5), I get
    <!doctype html>
    <head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8" />
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, user-scalable=no, initial-scale=1.0, minimum-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0">
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge,chrome=1" />

    in the header.
    Every tables and the database itself are set in utf8_general_ci.
    I tried to backup, delete and re-import the database after these modifications, using utf8 as charset and both ANSI/NONE as SQL compatibility mode. Nothing better.
    I tried to create a new post after all of that; same errors.

    Forgot to tell that I'm working on my computer localhost, using WAMP server 2.0 (but every other wordpress websites on my localhost doesn't have this kind of error).

    Please, have you got any idea, any trail? Maye it's related to the use of HTML5? Maybe it's about my template?
    Thanks a lot dudes!

  2. JJF4U
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Ok, I update my posts 'cause I found what it seems to be the cause of troubles.

    I deleted what I customized in my child-theme style.css, and whow I don't understand why, using back the whole parent-theme style.css there is no more character problem in front-end (but there still remains errors with special characters in back-end).
    It should be some error in my customized CSS... I'll check it out, even if I don't understand why it's causing such problems with html characters.

    See ya,

  3. JJF4U
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    HAHAHAHA I finally resolved it!
    Nothing mattered with charset, utf-8, mysql and so on...!
    I tried to remove one section after another in my child-theme style.css to find the part containing an error; it was the part concerning body{font-family}, which was trying to use
    "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif
    without font-face spec.

    I deleted the "Helvetica Neue" value, it works now perfectly.

    YEAH

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic