Support » Plugin: GravityExport Lite (Gravity Forms Entries in Excel) » Character encoding in export

  • Resolved FábiánLacca

    (@erdoslaszlo)


    Dear Support,

    I have issue on export to csv.
    The user provided Hungarian characters like á,é,ő and the file encoding is not correct when I opening it in excel the characters looks like this:

    plugin version:

    gravity forms: 2.5.16
    GravityExport Lite: 1.10.1

    Munkáltató adószáma;Név
    55555555555;Kovács Dávid;

    instead of this
    Munkáltató adószáma;Név
    55555555555;Kovács Dávid;

    System status from Forms / System status / Database Server
    Database Character Set: utf8
    Database Collation: utf8_general_ci

    from wp-config.php
    /** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
    define( ‘DB_CHARSET’, ‘utf8’ );

    Can you please help how this can be solved? Thank you.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Thread Starter FábiánLacca

    (@erdoslaszlo)

    Hello Dear Support (again),

    I did dig into the topic and found this forum where somebody describe a solution for the mentioned problem. I’m not familiar with php, but will be so kind and check is this can solve the problem or not?
    https://stackguides.com/questions/40447325/php-export-csv-utf-8-with-bom-doesnt-work

    Thank you, Laszlo

    Plugin Author Doeke Norg

    (@doekenorg)

    Hi @erdoslaszlo,

    Thank you for looking into this issue more yourself. It can always provide a nice starting of point!

    I’m just wondering: when downloading the CSV through gravity forms itself, does that work? Or do you have the same problem there?

    By default the exporting of this plugin should work. Just tried it again myself, and utf-8 isn’t a problem for me.

    You say you open the CSV in Excel, is that correct? Or are you downloading the xlsx? Because downloading as CSV and then importing it to Excel is the exact thing this plugin tries to avoid 🙂

    Please let me know. Hopefully we can resolve this quickly.

    Thread Starter FábiánLacca

    (@erdoslaszlo)

    Hello @doekenorg

    Thank you for your kind reply.
    Let me explain the reproducing steps. I hope this can help to better understand the issue.
    1.) creating form with text fields
    2.) set the email notification in form settings and set the attachment as csv file
    3.) fill the form with Hungarian characters
    4.) check the mailbox and open the email sent by gf with the csv file
    5.) save the csv file into my local drive (D:)
    6.) double click on the file to opening it with MS excel.

    Thank you for your investigation.

    Br, Laszlo

    Plugin Author Doeke Norg

    (@doekenorg)

    Hi @erdoslaszlo,

    Thanks for the reproduction. Unfortunately this still works for me. Could you perhaps send me an example of your .csv file?

    And please check all your templates and/or your functions.php file for any extra spaces or characters. These characters will be used when the output is created, and can result in malformed data.

    Otherwise you might need a bom. Which is a special character in front of the CSV that indicaties UTF-8 characters. You can activate this by adding the following code to your functions.php file:

    add_filter('gfexcel_renderer_csv_use_bom', '__return_true');

    Hope this helps. Let me know!

    Plugin Author Doeke Norg

    (@doekenorg)

    Closed due to inactivity. If we can help further, please let us know.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Character encoding in export’ is closed to new replies.