Hi. Would greatly appreciate some help as I switch from one Premium theme with custom post types to another with differently named post types.
I built my current site using a theme with a Portfolio option. That site used the custom post type ‘portfolio’ and a permalink structure for portfolio items of site.com/portfolio/name.
When switching to the new theme, my entire portfolio appeared to be missing. After searching for a solution, I realized the problem is that my former theme and the new one use different custom post types to define a portfolio.
I downloaded the plugin Post Type Switcher and changed a single recent portfolio to a page. I then changed to the new theme and used the plugin to change that page to a portfolio-items as the new theme calls its custom post type.
I now had two new problems:
1. The new permalink structure for portfolio is site.com/portfolio-items/name – I'm not sure if this could lead to 404 errors. Do bots/xml sitemaps typically include these custom post types? If so, is there a good solution?
2. When I clicked on the changed portfolio, the page would not open and my browser gave me a ‘redirect loop error’ showing the page failed to load. I'm not sure what led to this behavior but am guessing it was due to a plugin. I have since converted a smaller site and not gotten the redirect loop.
So, going forward, my plan is:
Backup and download off site
1. In old theme:
Use Post Type Switcher to convert every portfolio to page with same name and keep track of them
2. Deactivate current theme
3. Activate new theme
4. Use Post Type Switcher to change all pages to portfolios
5. Deactivate Post Type Switcher
6. Regenerate all thumbnails
Hope that makes sense and looking forward to your thoughts/suggestions.