Hey all been writing about this all night and just read through a bunch of tutorials. I really don't want to mess this up as I am new to doing this so I've been writing and asking ?'s on this all night.
I want my newly designed site to change from http://www.randyniles.com/wordpress to just plain old http://www.randyniles.com
I already had the domain name with a host plan and installed wordpress in the root folder of my domain but like I mentioned I want the url to just display the domain name that I've been using. I read in some WP books where it says to just change the Blog(URL) to the url you like and then save it and thats it but reading here and on the web it seems there is a little more to it than just that.
I found an article here on WP.org where it mentions using phpmyadmin to access your DB and changing the info in the wp_options table. My ? is this should I follow this example? and if I do, should I change the information in both areas noted on #12 and #16 below. After reading several articles I was under the impression that I shouldn't be changing the WordPress(URL) which is the path to my folder where my files reside, but like I mentioned I really don't know what I should doing and want to make sure its all done right so not to lose any important data/info... here is what was referenced ... sorry for the long info just want to make sure I'm doing this right...Thank you.
Changing the URL directly in the database
If you know how to access phpMyAdmin on your host, then you can edit these values directly to get you up and running again.
1. Backup your database and save the copy off-site.
2. Login to phpMyAdmin.
3. Click the link to your Databases.
4. A list of your databases will appear. Choose the one that is your WordPress database.
5. All the tables in your database will appear on the screen.
6. From the list, look for wp_options. Note: The table prefix of wp_ may be different if you changed it when installing.
7. Click on the small icon indicated as Browse.
8. A screen will open with a list of the fields within the wp_options table.
9. Under the field option_name, scroll down and look for siteurl.
10. Click the Edit Field icon which usually is found at the far left at the beginning of the row.
11. The Edit Field window will appear.
12. In the input box for option_value, carefully change the URL information to the new address.
13. Verify this is correct and click Go to save the information.
14. You should be returned to your wp-options table.
15. Look for the home field in the table and click Edit Field. Note There are several pages of tables inside wp_options. Look for the > symbol to page through them.
16. In the input box for option_value, carefully change the URL information to the new address.
17. Verify this is correct and click Go to save the information.
18. Delete the folder wp-content/cache (this is a new folder added with WordPress 2.0).
19. That is it.