Support » How-To and Troubleshooting » Changing permalinks breaks links
2 years, 9 months ago
Hey everybody. (Sorry if this is posted the wrong place, this is my very-first post)
I have changed the permalinks from the default, ugly ones in the settings (as seen here) to the beautiful post-name.
There’s just one major problem with this. When I follow the links on my page, I get sent to this error page.
So what can I do to solve this?
Thanks in advance.
Check with your hosts that mod_rewrite is running on your server.
Can you give a step-by-step guide to doing this?
1. Login to your server via FTP.
2. Create a new file called phpinfo.php in the root of your public directory.
3. Edit that file in a text editor and place this code into it:
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
4. Save the file.
5. Access the file at the address into the browser, (ie example.com/phpinfo.php)
6. Using ctrl+f, search for mod_rewrite. It should be under Loaded Modules if it is enabled.
What is the root of my public directory?
Btw., thanks for the help so far both of you.
You could just contact your hosts & ask them about about mod_rewrite.