Changed the URL(s) (6 posts)

  1. Systemv1
    Posted 5 years ago #

    Hi there,

    I accidentally changed one of both of the 'Wordpress address (URL)' and 'Blog address (URL)' fields in the general settings page.

    When trying to go to the site URL or login page I get "Error establishing a database connection". When I tried to connect to the database to check the values I got "ER_HOST_IS_BLOCKED (1129).
    Host'........' is blocked because of many connection errors; unblock with 'mysqladmin flush hosts'"

    I've tried both the 'Edit wp-config.php' and 'Edit functions.php' fixes via http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL - neither appear to have worked. .

    Also, I replaced the functions.php file with a default version, and added the two required lines. I didn't back up the original file.
    I think I made changes to the theme while the site was up - will this be issue?

    I'm really stuck with this so any help would be great!

  2. Systemv1
    Posted 5 years ago #

    This post was moved without my knowledge - hopefully someone over here will be able to help. .

  3. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 5 years ago #

    The "Error establishing a database connection" error message suggests that there is either a problem in your wp-config.php file with the database host name. Or your hosting provider has a problem with their database server. Have you tried contacting theme?

  4. Systemv1
    Posted 5 years ago #

    The error came from removing one or more lines from the general settings page within the WordPress admin panel. .

  5. That may be true, but if your are getting "Error establishing a database connection" then the problem is with your database and needs to be fixed there.

  6. Systemv1
    Posted 5 years ago #

    Right, from what I can see - it appears that the 'Edit wp-config.php' fix (from http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL ) doesn't change the location / value in the database: -

    "NOTE: It won't change the Database value though, and the url will revert to the old database value if this line is removed from wp-config. Use the RELOCATE constant to change the siteurl value in the database."

    So when I get home am gonna try the below method: -


    I just hope the aforementioned 'Edit functions.php' fix from the same area won't cause any further issue (see first post). .

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic