Changed domain names (on same server), small problems (4 posts)

  1. Erik Mabry
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Website: kube57.com

    The production website's domain was kube57.tv until we finished, changed it to kube57.com -- did not move servers -- followed the instructions in the codex, went in to myphpadmin, changed the URL there, changed it in the settings page within wordpress, and used search and replace plugin and virtually everything is fine.


    I'm noticing that some other people visiting the site have complained that some of the pages are giving them "page not found" error (more like "website does not exist") when they go to certain pages. I've asked them to send me the URL of those pages that supposedly don't exist -- they do exist and I can immediately access those pages.

    It's been 24 hours since the transition -- I originally blamed DNS propagation but now I'm starting to wonder if it's a WordPress thing. I have w3 total cache that I have emptied all databases/caches and it has not helped.

    Any ideas? Suggestions? Things for me to check?

  2. chriseverson
    Posted 1 year ago #

    A good place to start would be checking the code for the template to make sure nothing has a hard-coded URL. All URL's should be generated using bloginfo('url') so that they're updated with the URL change.

    Additionally, there may be some links in posts or pages that didn't automatically change to reflect the new domain. You might want to check your database for any occurrances of kube57.tv and change them to kube57.com accordingly.

  3. webbrewers
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Tell your readers to hit f5 a few times to clear out cached pages.

  4. Fathi
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Update your permalinks from the dashboard,just click "Permalinks" and click the "save changes" button, this will update all your page URLS instantly, then you need to delete the cache from W3 Total Cache plugin to update it.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic