WordPress.org

Support

Support » How-To and Troubleshooting » [Resolved] Change of blog_charset screwed up admin functions

[Resolved] Change of blog_charset screwed up admin functions

  • Hey there,

    I’ve got got a weird and maybe stupid problem. I have problems with the character encoding for my (german) blog:
    http://benzlog.fuenfkommasechs.de/

    With UTF-8 it looked fine even with ö, ü and ä characters as long as you were viewing the site with Internet Explorer. In Firefox however it always looked screwed up. So I tried changing the character encoding using wp-admin/options-reading.php

    Since I’m a layperson, I just tried one coding after another, reloaded the blog, changed again and so on.
    Now all of a sudden it defaults to UTF-7, no matter what I do. I cannot change anything anymore. When I change it and press “Update Options”, it gives me a summary site of all options being set, with UTF-7 still set.
    I also cannot sign out anymore, nor change my profile.

    It seems something’s been royally f*cked up thanks to my stupidity.

    Now my simple question is: what could be causing this, OR where does it write these settings to, anyway? What is the name of the file I need to open using my FTP program, so that I could change these settings using a text editor?

    Many thanks in advance!
    Johannes

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Not in file: all your settings (together with the content) are stored in the database.

    If you have access to phpMyadmin > go to your database, find the wp_options table and click on Browse to find the blog_charset table (row).
    Click on the “pencil” for edit and type in “UTF-8” (without quotes).
    At the bottom of the page click “Go”.

    Thanks a lot, moshu!

    This is the hint I needed. I will try solving the problem!

    Thanks again & merry christmas to you all 🙂
    Johannes

    schloerby said:
    merry christmas to you all

    oke schloerby, merry christmas to you too 🙂

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘[Resolved] Change of blog_charset screwed up admin functions’ is closed to new replies.